Friday, March 31, 2006

lettuce, corn and pigs?

There's more new life and activity around here on Emerald Lane! Today we picked up two Yorkshire Pigs from a local family farm. It all started on Tuesday when I passed by a sign that read "Pigs 4 Sale" and I called to inquire, then I shared my discovery with my "gentleman farmer" and he said, "let's go for it". So here we are 3 days later, the proud owners of two pigs, Scatter and Petunia. Ian named them right away. Petunia, for the first pig he ever met in person at Aunt Leslee's Farm and Scatter, "because they use their noses to scatter the dirt around" he said. We plan to raise the male for meat and we aren't sure what we will do with the female, we'll just see how we like having pigs around and if we can stand the smell! Let me just say, the transportion of a pig in an SUV is not ideal!

3 Comments:

At 3/31/2006 09:55:00 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!
Tell Ian I love the names!
Happy farming!

 
At 4/01/2006 07:16:00 AM, Blogger Upward Journey said...

I've been waiting anxiously for pictures of "the pigs", ever since Jay mentioned it to me in an email the other day. Our kids could hardly believe it. Tell Ian I second what Crystal said. I love the names, as well as his sign for the corn. We still just have our three lonely chickens (& some cats).

 
At 4/06/2006 02:56:00 PM, Anonymous helen henry said...

I cant believe there are pigs in our barn!!! I swore we would never have pigs after upstate NY and now here we are with our own (Jay & Nancy's I mean)

But that is okay since you have promised to share the meat!

love, mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home