Wednesday, June 28, 2006

fruit, carrots and 10 dozen eggs

This glamour shot of our watermelon and cantlopue was taken by yours truly. Yes, I know I out did myself. We finally got the courage to cut open one of the 8 watermelons that made it in the garden and boy was it ready. Bright red, juicy watermelon is the perfect treat for a hot summer afternoon. We love the stuff around here! The cantalope was not as good. Not sweet enough for our liking, but it was our first attempt. We keep telling ourselves that. Tonight I looked out the window and saw two little guys running through the yard with green bushes in their arms. I had to grab my camera and get them with their stash of carrots from the garden. Such fun to go out and pick some food from the ground, how cool is that? Very cool according to Ian who can't wait to take a watermelon to his cousins house this weekend. Yep, we are traveling to Tallahassee Saturday to witness a trio baptism, all three boys (8,6, & 4 months) are being baptized this Sunday at their local church. We are looking forward to our visit! Finally, we have approximately 10 dozens eggs in our refrigerator right now, so if you read this blog and are in the area please come get some eggs! We are putting together a flyer and a list of people that have shown interest in farm fresh pastured poultry eggs, I know it's a mouth full, but it's true. Today alone we collected 40 eggs, so the hens are increasing their production and soon we'll have 50 a day at least. We are selling the eggs for $2.50/1 dozen and $3.00/1-1/2 dozen, and let me tell you they are worth it. These hens graze on fresh grass and insects daily due to their mobile homes and enjoy sunlight, fresh water and comfortable nesting boxes with fresh hay for laying the most egg-cellent egg! (I couldn't help myself.)

2 Comments:

At 6/29/2006 04:17:00 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I don't have nearly enough sunlight in my backyard to grow a veggie garden, although I would love to be able to do so!

 
At 6/29/2006 08:51:00 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Why not plant in your front yard or wherever you have sun? Vegetables don't have to be retricted to the backyard, they look nice too! I have a friend with a really small backyard and she planted in 2 - 4'x'4 raised beds or you can plant tomatoes in containers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home