Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Garden update

Here is the state of our garden these days. The tomatoes are finishing up, the broccoli is finally coming in and we've gotten a few green peppers. When I was cleaning out the watermelon vines, I noticed a live green vine and some fruit. So, the watermelon is not dead and it goes on, there are 3 melons growing right now. We cleaned out everything else and planted pumpkins and built a trellis for pole beans and cucumbers. I plan on planting some more tomatoes, squash, onions and bush beans once I can find the seeds. The local stores removed the spring displays and aren't getting any new seeds for another month. The spring garden was a great learning experience, how many seeds to plant, what grows well, and how long things take. I was able to preserve alot of cucumbers and tomatoes through canning. I have displayed the cans in the Living Room shelves, not much pantry space available. We are now down one pig. Scatter has left us and will return in a few weeks in a new form. It all went well, we found a butcher in MacClenney and he picked up the hog yesterday and it will take about 2 weeks to process. It's weird writing about this, I know alot of people think we are weird for wanting to raise a pig and butcher it. We just want to taste fresh meat that we raised and know what exactly is in it. The bacon is cured and then smoked in a real smoke house by the butcher. He said the store-bought bacon is not processed in a smoke house and the bacon he makes is totally different. Can't wait to find out the difference! In crafting news, I practiced with my machine some more and embroidered a burp cloth for a baby gift. I like the way it turned out, still trying to figure how to line the fabric up in the hoop properly. I'm also working on a crib bumper, skirt, curtain panels and pillow covers for a custom order. This will be the first time I've made these for a customer, so I'm a little nervous I'm going to mess up, but excited to see the finished product!

1 Comments:

At 8/09/2006 02:47:00 AM, Blogger Mijk said...

I think it is completely fantastic to raise your own meat. Although i'm a bit afraid I would turn vegitarian in the process.. (i'm that kind of hypocrite I fear, hate thet weakness in me be3cause I do eat the supermarketpig who had a way worse life (organicd meat is not afforable for us it is about twice the money here) )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home